Sunday, June 29, 2008

Meet the Molokai Dispatch Again for the First Time

Tuesday 6-24-08 BY: TODD YAMASHITA

Kids, Politics and Hawaiian Culture – the foundation of this island newspaper.

By Todd Yamashita

The first time I had my picture printed in a newspaper I was 15 years old and crazy about skateboarding. George Peabody of the Molokai Advertiser News snapped a shot as I was doing tricks off a launch ramp in Kualapu`u. I’ll never forget how proud I felt featured in print for all of Molokai to see.

Almost two decades later, I don’t really launch off of anything anymore, but I am still excited about newspapers and the positive changes they can make within our community. This is precisely why you’ll find news in the Molokai Dispatch that focuses on youth, culture, history, leadership and community voice – the foundation of a healthy community.

Keiki
A few months ago I was visited by Leslie Florea whose mother, the late Myrle Florea, started the Molokai Dispatch in 1985. She said that when her mother had first created the paper, its focus was on the keiki.

“It would be nice to see the kids come back, to see the children write stories again,” was Leslie’s friendly advice to me.

We’ve always done our best to include youth news, but the inclusion of the Keiki Dispatch page added several weeks ago, has helped us come full circle.

The Keiki Dispatch is a...

Read More...