Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Molokai Soldier in Afghanistan

3 March, 2008, Jesse English, The Molokai Dispatch
The people of Afghanistan are mostly pleasant, hard-working, and pose no threat to US or Coalition forces. They are simple and lack much if any education. Most have no concept of what is going on in the world around them.

I once tried to explain through my interpreter what a convenience store or a mall was and I was totally unable to get them to even grasp...

I had always been poor growing up, and felt that I had a good appreciation for things, but five and a half months later upon my return from my first deployment all of life seemed even sweeter.

To be able to walk outside and not have to wear body armor, a helmet, night-vision goggles or to carry a rifle was nice. To be in a real house with clean running water and carpeting and not have to worry about mortars and rockets shelling you is bliss.

After months of eating nothing but MRE's and drinking plain bottled water, the simple act of getting in your car and driving to the store and being able to buy or eat anything you want any time is more than I can describe.

Being able to watch REAL television and drink a beer is probably taken for granted by every person in America,...

Read More..., or Watch Hawaii Community Television!